We now subscribe to Benefits and Work, and can provide you with guides to help you find your way around ESA, PIP and DLA problems

Disability and work
Here is some advice from Citizens Advice on disability and work

Hearing loss?
Follow this link to a useful site

Visual impairment? - Advice and information from RNIB here

Access to work
Access to Work assists disabled people who are in paid employment or about to start a job or a Work Trial, by providing practical support with overcoming work related obstacles caused by disability. There is an employer cost share involved in some cases. The fact sheet below outlines the scheme.

Here's the Government's information on Disability Employment Advisers

Rights at work
Click the link below to download the ACAS booklet on Rights at Work, which includes information on the Equality Act and disability

Disability Rights UK was formed through a unification of Disability Alliance, Radar and National Centre for Independent Living on 1 January 2012.

Employment and Mental Health
Here's a link to The Centre for Mental Health

City Limits Employment
City Limits is an employment service offering help, advice and support to people who are disabled or who have difficulties finding work or training. If a person is resident in Southampton, City Limits can support them to find:
  • Paid work
  • Work related training
  • Work experience
  • Opportunities to volunteer
  • College or educational courses
  • Apprenticeships
Eligibility for services depends upon the criteria for individual projects. For more information on these projects, please get in touch using the contact details below
023 8091 7585
City Limits Employment Ground Floor, Municipal Block East, Civic Centre Southampton SO14 7LR

Personal Independence Payments replaced DLA from 8/4/13. Read about them here

Triangulate is a Romsey - based charity which aims to promote changes in understanding, attitudes and behaviours towards mental illness; and positive mental health practices in the workplace.
They recently published a booklet 'Your Guide to a Mentally Healthy Workplace' - here is the PDF version

Here is a presentation from the Greater Wessex Health and Disability Employment Team at DWP

Access to
If you have a health condition or a disability, Access to Work can provide practical
and financial support to help you overcome barriers to starting or keeping a job.
Access to Work can also give practical advice to an employer.
How can it help me?
Access to Work can help pay for support you may need because of your health
condition or disability, for example:
• aids and equipment in your workplace
• adapting equipment to make it easier for you to use
• money towards any extra travel costs to and from work if you can’t use available
public transport, or help with adapting your vehicle
• an interpreter or other support at a job interview if you have difficulty
communicating, and
• other practical help at work, such as a job coach or a sign-language interpreter.
Do I qualify for this help?
You can apply for Access to Work if you have a disability or health condition that
has a long-term negative effect on your ability to do your job (long-term means
lasting or likely to last for at least 12 months, and:
• you are aged 16 or over, and
• you live in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales), and
• you are already doing paid work, or
• you are about to start work or become self-employed, or
• you have an interview for a job, or
• you are about to begin a work trial arranged through Jobcentre Plus.
You do not usually qualify if you are working and claiming Incapacity Benefit.
However, you may qualify for Access to Work for a limited time if you are doing
certain types of ‘permitted work’ to help you move off benefits completely. Contact
your nearest Access to Work centre to find out more.
Produced by Jobcentre Plus, part of
the Department for Work and Pensions
ACCESSTOWORK | v1.0 (November 2010)
How do I apply?
Contact the centre for the area where you live. It can give you more information
and help you apply.
For more information about Access to Work, visit
Wales, South West, East
Midlands and West Midlands
Telephone: 02920 423291
Textphone: 02920 644886
Scotland, North West, North East
and Yorkshire and Humberside
Telephone: 01419 505327
Textphone: 0845 602 5850
London, South East, and
East of England
Telephone: 020 8426 3110
Textphone: 020 8426 3133